Tourism purposes only, not for business or employment purposes.

Duration of stay for 30 or 60 days.

Extension allowed for another 30 days.

EDUCATION (Non-immigrant “ED” Visa)

Study visits and training sessions in Thailand.

Term visa of 90 days travel (single entry) and then 1 year travel to Thailand (multiple entries).

BUSINESS (Non-immigrant “B” Visa)

Foreigners applying for a job or opening a business will require a Thai business visa. This can be best applied for before coming to Thailand. In addition, this type of visa can be extended to a long term visa which can be done either inside or outside the Kingdom of Thailand.

Categories Under the Thai Business Visa

There are 2 categories in which foreigners can enter under this type of visa.

Non-Immigrant B Visa (Conducting Business)

Foreigners who wish to setup or conduct business in Thailand should apply for a Thai Non-Immigrant B visa.

90 Days Non-Immigrant Visa (Single-Entry)

This is an initial visa issued by the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country which allows a stay of 90 consecutive days in Thailand.

1-Year Non-Immigrant Visa (Multiple-Entry)

This is issued to those who want to conduct business and intend to frequently travel in and out of Thailand. The initial non-immigrant visa can be extended to this visa once the work permit is processed.

Non-Immigrant B Visa (Employment)

Foreigners who intend to work in Thailand should apply for an initial 90-Day Non-Immigrant B visa from their home country under employment category.

The work permit application takes place during the initial 90 days given through the initial visa.

Once a valid work permit is obtained, the applicant then applies for the 1-Year Non-Immigrant B visa inside Thailand.

90-day reporting to any Thai Immigration Office is required to the visa holder under this category.

A re-entry permit is required if the applicant wishes to travel outside of the country.

Renewal of this visa can be done inside Thailand.

MARRIAGE (Non-immigrant “O” Visa)

Thailand marriage visa is the popular term for “1-Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage”.

This is a long term Thai visa issued to a foreign national who is married to a Thai and meets the other requirements of the immigration bureau.

The Thai marriage visa holder is entitled permission to stay for a full year in Thailand without the need to exit the country.

The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).

The Thailand Marriage Visa also allows the holder to work in Thailand when the visa holder is able to obtain a valid Thai Work Permit to go along with the visa.

This is considered an advantage to prospective foreigner employees as the employer would only have to be concerned about the procurement of work permit.

RETIREMENT (Non-immigrant “O” or “OA” Visa)

Must be 50 years or older.

Pension of 65,000 THB or 800,000 THB in Thai bank, or combination.

Term visa of 90 days travel (single entry) and then 1 year travel to Thailand (multiple entries).

Thailand retirement visa is the popular term for “Non-Immigrant OA-Long Stay Visa”.

The visa can be valid either for a single entry or multiple entries.

This is a long term Thai visa that entitles the holder a stay of 1 year in Thailand.

The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).


the Thailand Elite Visa is a long-term Thai visa under privilege entry visa program managed by the Thailand Privilege Card Company Limited; a wholly-owned subsidiary under the Ministry of Tourism and Sport.

The purpose of the program is to promote Thailand to affluent and high-earning foreigners through the issuance of a privilege entry visa and offers an opportunity to obtain a long-term multiple entry visa and the right to live in the country for up to 20 years. This includes individuals such as digital nomads that don’t want to do visa runs, retirees who don’t want to be stressed with the new complicated regulations that have been regularly changed, or investors and business people who need to travel in and out of Thailand several times a year.


SMART Visa is a new type of visa specially designed to attract highly skilled manpower, investors, executives and startups entrepreneurs wishing to work or invest in the following targeted industries in the Kingdom of Thailand.

Targeted industries:

Next-Generation Automotive

Smart Electronics

Affluent, Medical and Wellness Tourism

Agriculture and Biotechnology

Food for the Future

Automation and Robotics

Aviation and Logistics

Biofuels and Biochemicals


Medical Hub

Alternative Dispute Resolution

Human Resource Development in Science and Technology

Environmental Management and Renewable Energy

                SMART Talent Visa

The four-year SMART T Visa is available to science and technology experts who earn 200,000 baht per month and are employed by in one of the ten targeted industries.

                SMART Investor Visa

The four-year SMART I Visa is available to investors who make a direct investment of 20 million baht into companies that use technology in their manufacturing process or deliver services. These companies also must be in one of the ten targeted industries.

               SMART Executive Visa

The four-year SMART E Visa is available to senior managers that have at least a Bachelor’s degree, ten years work experience, and are earning a minimum of 200,000 baht per month. Similar to the SMART T and I Visas, senior managers must be employed by companies in one of the ten targeted industries

                SMART Startup Visa

The one- to two-year SMART S Visa is for entrepreneurs looking to start a business in Thailand. To be eligible for this visa, you must deposit 600,000 baht in Thailand, have health insurance, and set up a company in one of the ten targeted industries within your first year.

                SMART(O Other)

is for spouse and legitimate children of Smart Visa holders.

Dependent or immediate family of foreigners holding non-immigrant visas.

Guardian or immediate family of a Thai child or student foreign child.

Term visa of 90 days travel (single entry) and then 1 year travel to Thailand (multiple entries).


The 1-Year Multiple-Entry Non-Immigrant Thai visa is issued to foreigners who wish to obtain a long term visa stay to Thailand. The issuance of this visa mainly depends on the purpose of the application. This type of visa is valid for use within one year from the date of issue and can be extended to 3 months on or before the visa expiration date.

However, this type of visa requires the visa holders to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days by air, sea, or land travel.


Applicants under this visa category are the citizens or permanent residents of the countries listed below:



United Kingdom



The 90-Day Non-Immigrant visa is issued to foreigners who wish to enter Thailand for study, business, investment, retirement and other purposes. This type of visa is valid for use for 90 days from the date of issue. The holder of this visa is also given a period of 90 days stay inside Thailand and can be extended for 7 days.

Furthermore, this type of visa grants the holder the option to convert to a 1-Year Non-Immigrant visa stay (i.e. work visa, marriage visa, retirement etc) which can be processed and obtained inside Thailand


The 90-day Non-Immigrant Visa is not the same as the Thai tourist visa. If you wish to apply for a tourist visa to Thailand, please contact or visit the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country.


Applicants under this visa category are the citizens or permanent residents of the countries listed below:





Other European countries


To obtain Thai permanent residency, you will be interviewed by an officer at the Thai Immigration Office. You will be asked questions about your documents, background and religion. The officer will note your answers which will be printed afterwards so that you can sign them.

You will also have to answer 10 multiple choice questions written in Thai. If you do not read Thai well, it is not a problem because the officer will help you by reading the questions aloud. After the test, you will have to go into a partitioned area and introduce yourself in Thai. This will be recorded on a camera.

Usually you will receive your approval letter one and a half years after your application, depending on the category you were applying for. To obtain your certificate of residence, you will have to visit the Thai Immigration Office within 30 days after you get the approval letter and you will also have to submit the following:

The original and a copy of your passport

The original and a copy of your residence’s House Registration Book Tabien Baan

12 (4x6cm) photos taken within the last 3 months

Fee paid in cash


Citizens of western countries (i.e. US, UK, Canada, Australia, France) can have dual citizenship in most cases (e.g. Thai citizenship and their original nationality).

Once your application for Thai citizenship has been approved, there will be a lot of waiting. You will be asked to appear at the Interior Ministry for a Thai language test. If you pass the test you will be asked to come back to the Thai Ministry and sing the Thai National Anthem and the King´s song Phra Baramee. Afterwords you will be interviewed while the Thai officials visit your house to ascertain that the details you submitted on your application form are correct.

Among the others requirements, you will be expected to swear an oath and appear at your local police station dressed well and holding a candle, flowers and incense. You will have to swear allegiance to the King and to the country of Thailand. This, however, is not the end as you will then have to wait for a confirmation by the Ministry of the Interior